Friday, June 12, 2009

August 21 (02?)

How cold the breeze over the footbridge
making the railings hum. How reassuring time
on the bank clock, the highest thing on the skyline,

higher than buildings – open for business,
with customers and tenants, their mirrored worlds
concealing secretarial pools from the [ street ].

And the clock, above them, I see from an angle
when I run the bridge: and every mile traversed
extends my life-span an hour, so I’ve learned!

How much more time will the bridge provide me
if I take my time to run it? How much more time
can I gain once I have used the time I have earned

running circles? The bridge is a segment of a circle,
just a segment, but without it, where would the circle be?
From a bank of earth I could fall, before the impact,

my legs dangling over sea-water, above which
thick metal grills slap concrete as cars roll above them
to polish their edges. A harvest moon behind the clock

is big and golden, the numerous seas gray as pockmarks
on a Mercury dime, the entire image faint in the dusk.
How much more vivid time on the clock

rendered in lights upon the black marquee.
How much more self-evident the spectacles
made for ourselves, the lights, the humming wires.

No comments: